Explore Dublin with our definitive list of things to do near Grand Canal Hotel; our tour pick-up/drop-off point.
🚶🏾Stroll into the City
Hop, skip and jump into Dublin’s downtown:
- Grafton Street [map] – pedestrianised shopping district
- St Stephen’s Green [map] – charming city park
- Trinity College [map] – home to the Book of Kells
None of the above should take more than 20 minutes walking.
🍔 Discover Delicious Dining
Find these outstanding food options on your Dublin doorstep:
- Farmer Browns [map] – Irish soul food; brunch and lunch (5 minute walk)
- The Old Spot [map] – refined gastro pub grub (5 minute walk)
- Juniors [map] – order ahead for their lunch sandwiches or enjoy an Italian-influenced dinner menu (5 minute walk)
- Etto [map] – Italian-influenced seasonal dining; Irish Restaurant of the Year 2018 (18 minute walk)
- Musashi [map] – Dublin’s small Japanese chain has good sushi and noodles (7 minute walk)
🍻 Best Pubs, Wine Bar, Coffee…
- 3fe [map] – get your barista -brewed caffeine fix from this small Dublin chain (4 minute walk)
- The Square Ball [map] – hip brew pub with Irish craft beers and liquor; award-winning chicken burger (7 minute walk)
- O’Donoghue’s [map] – famous traditional pub for Irish music; great Guinness; always busy (18 minute walk)
- Ely Wine Bar [map] – quaff from a wine list 400-strong; good food too (18 minute walk)
🎭 Catch a Show
The Bord Gáis Energy Theatre is Ireland’s largest fixed-seat theatre.
Most big Broadway and West End hits land here. The Bord Gáis is a 10 minute walk away [map].
Or for something more intimate…
Check the schedule of the Pepper Canister church for Irish traditional and folk gigs. Or if you just like historic churches!
⚽ …Or a Game!
The 52,000 capacity Aviva Stadium is home turf to both Ireland’s rugby and soccer teams.
Stadium tours are also available if a game isn’t scheduled.
It’s only 12 minutes walk [map] from the Grand Canal Hotel.
📸 Visit a Battlefield
A few hundred feet away from the Grand Canal Hotel is the site of the Battle of Mount Street Bridge.
During the 1916 Rising, newly-arrived British forces were ambushed here. A handful of rebel snipers held two army battalions at bay for hours before heavy artillery arrived.
🏘️ See Gorgeous Georgian Architecture
During its heydey in the 18th century Georgian era, Dublin saw elegant townhouses erected by the wealthy.
The very finest examples lie a short stroll away from the Grand Canal Hotel.
See Oscar Wilde’s former family home in Merrion Square (13 minute walk [map]).
🚇 Hop on a DART
Grand Canal Dock train station [map] is a matter of footsteps from the front door of the Grand Canal Hotel.
Dublin’s light rail system offers you delightful destinations, all within easy distance.
- Dalkey [map] is a quaint village with great pubs
- Howth [map] offers fantastic seafood, scenic views and hikes
- Visit the James Joyce Museum in Sandycove/Glasthule [map]
🚴🏽Hike or Bike the Grand Canal
Discover the canal that gave your hotel its name.
These southside Dublin neighbourhoods are within easy reach along the towpath:
- Baggot Street – Bars, pubs and restaurants galore only 14 minutes [map] walk from your hotel
- Grand Canal Dock – Great lunch spots and people watching between the canal and the river. Only 11 minutes [map] easy stroll away.
- Portobello – Visit the Jewish Museum in Dublin’s historic Jewish neighbourhood. 32 minutes away [map].
Biker? Cut those journey times in half with the Dublin Bike Scheme. There’s a Dublin Bike station only 3 minutes walk [map] from the Grand Canal Hotel. You’ll need a credit card to sign up.
🐚 Hit the beach at Sandymount
Can’t wait to get off the beaten track?! You’re never far from the sea in Dublin.
The surprisingly windswept Sandymount Strand is only a gentle 30 minute walk away [map] from the Grand Canal Hotel.
Found some other great things to do near Grand Canal Hotel? Let us know!
🚌 Get to Grand Canal Hotel from Dublin Airport by Aircoach
There’s lots more detail about How to Get to Dublin City Centre from Dublin Airport in our dedicated blog.
But for now, here’s a handy map showing how close the Grand Canal Hotel is to the Schoolhouse Hotel Aircoach stop.