Just 4 Ingredients
- 450 g / pound of plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 400 ml / 12 to 15 ounces of buttermilk
- Large mixing bowl
- Wire Rack
- Non-stick loaf tin (900g/ 2lb)
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F/Gas 6) for about 15 minutes
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in the large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in all the buttermilk. Gently and quickly stir, it should be soft but not sticky.
- Place in non-stick loaf tin and cut a deep cross into it to let the heat penetrate while cooking, but more importantly to let the fairies out ;)
- Place in oven for 45 minutes.
- When ready the tin should sound hollow when tapped.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
- Cut into slices and serve with butter.
There are many slight variations. You can use brown flour instead of white. Herbs such as rosemary, sage, thyme, chives, parsley or lemon balm go down a treat. Why not add some sultanas or raisins or some caster sugar. Even cheese and bacon can be added. Have fun and enjoy some tasty results.