Grand Canal Hotel Dublin 101 - The Basics
🚐 The pick-up and drop-off point for ALL of our Vagabond and Driftwood Tours is the Grand Canal Hotel Dublin.
📍 The hotel is located just south of Dublin city centre.
🏨 You don't have to stay at the Grand Canal Hotel - it just makes the beginning and end of your tour more convenient!
🚶🏽 The downtown area of southside Dublin is a scenic 20 minute stroll from the hotel.
🚉 Grand Canal Dock train station is located less than 10 minutes walk from the hotel.
🏟️ Attractions within 10 minutes walk include a major sports stadium and Ireland's largest fixed-seat theatre.
😋 You're spoiled with food and drink options! Lots of great pubs, restaurants and coffee shops are located around the hotel.
Stroll into Dublin City
Hop, skip and jump into Dublin's downtown:
- Grafton Street [map] - pedestrianised shopping district
- St Stephen's Green [map] - charming city park
- Trinity College [map] - home to the Book of Kells
None of the above should take more than 20 minutes walking.
Discover Delicious Dining in Dublin
Find these outstanding food options on your Dublin doorstep:
- Farmer Browns [map] - Irish soul food; brunch and lunch (5 minute walk)
- The Old Spot [map] - refined gastro pub grub (5 minute walk)
- Juniors [map] - order ahead for their lunch sandwiches or enjoy an Italian-influenced dinner menu (5 minute walk)
- Etto [map] - Italian-influenced seasonal dining; Irish Restaurant of the Year 2018 (18 minute walk)
- Musashi [map] - Dublin's small Japanese chain has good sushi and noodles (7 minute walk)
Best Dublin Pubs, Wine Bar, Coffee...
- 3fe [map] - get your barista -brewed caffeine fix from this small Dublin chain (4 minute walk)
- The Square Ball [map] - hip brew pub with Irish craft beers and liquor; award-winning chicken burger (7 minute walk)
- O'Donoghue's [map] - famous traditional pub for Irish music; great Guinness; always busy (18 minute walk)
- Ely Wine Bar [map] - quaff from a wine list 400-strong; good food too (18 minute walk)
Catch a Show in Dublin
The Bord Gáis Energy Theatre is Ireland's largest fixed-seat theatre.
Most big Broadway and West End hits land here. The Bord Gáis is a 10 minute walk away [map].
Or for something more intimate...
Check the schedule of the Pepper Canister church for Irish traditional and folk gigs. Or if you just like historic churches!
The Pepper Canister Church is a 7 minute walk away [map].
...Or a Dublin Game!
The 52,000 capacity Aviva Stadium is home turf to both Ireland's rugby and soccer teams.
Stadium tours are also available if a game isn't scheduled.
It's only 12 minutes walk [map] from the Grand Canal Hotel.
Visit a Dublin Battlefield
A few hundred feet away from the Grand Canal Hotel is the site of the Battle of Mount Street Bridge.
During the 1916 Rising, newly-arrived British forces were ambushed here. A handful of rebel snipers held two army battalions at bay for hours before heavy artillery arrived.
This expedition will take you 3 minutes! [map]
See Gorgeous Georgian Dublin Architecture
During its heydey in the 18th century Georgian era, Dublin saw elegant townhouses erected by the wealthy.
The very finest examples lie a short stroll away from the Grand Canal Hotel.
See Oscar Wilde's former family home in Merrion Square (13 minute walk [map]).
Visit the Georgian House Museum in Fitzwilliam Square (11 minute walk [map]).
Hop on a DART from Dublin
Grand Canal Dock train station [map] is a matter of footsteps from the front door of the Grand Canal Hotel.
Dublin's light rail system offers you delightful destinations, all within easy distance.
- Dalkey [map] is a quaint village with great pubs
- Howth [map] offers fantastic seafood, scenic views and hikes
- Visit the James Joyce Museum in Sandycove/Glasthule [map]
Hike or Bike the Grand Canal in Dublin
Discover the canal that gave your hotel its name.
These southside Dublin neighbourhoods are within easy reach along the towpath:
- Baggot Street - Bars, pubs and restaurants galore only 14 minutes [map] walk from your hotel
- Grand Canal Dock - Great lunch spots and people watching between the canal and the river. Only 11 minutes [map] easy stroll away.
- Portobello - Visit the Jewish Museum in Dublin's historic Jewish neighbourhood. 32 minutes away [map].
Biker? Cut those journey times in half with the Dublin Bike Scheme. There's a Dublin Bike station only 3 minutes walk [map] from the Grand Canal Hotel. Youll need a credit card to sign up.
Alternatively, Bleeper Bikes can be found anywhere. Youll need to download their iOS app or Android app to get started.
Hit the beach at Sandymount in Dublin
Can't wait to get off the beaten track?! You're never far from the sea in Dublin.
The surprisingly windswept Sandymount Strand is only a gentle 30 minute walk away [map] from the Grand Canal Hotel.
Let us know if you found things to do near Grand Canal Hotel!
Get to Grand Canal Hotel from Dublin Airport by Aircoach
The Grand Canal Hotel is a 4 minute walk from the Schoolhouse Hotel Aircoach stop. Take Route 702 or 703 from Dublin Airport.
There's lots more detail about How to Get to Dublin City Centre from Dublin Airport in our dedicated blog.