Pancake Tuesday also known as Shrove Tuesday, is the last day before Lent. It was always seen as a day to gorge yourself before the fasting of Lent began. In the United States of America it goes by the name Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras. Naturally in Ireland, we love it, as it is the perfect excuse to tuck into some tasty treats.
On average each Irish person will consume 2.5 pancakes on Pancake Tuesday. That’s a whopping 12 million pancakes for the whole island. What’s more, over 70% will make their pancakes from scratch. According to research recently commissioned by Siúcra.
So if you’re looking to try your hand and stir up a storm in the kitchen. We’ve got the perfect simple Irish pancake recipe for you.
Interesting facts about Pancake Tuesday in Ireland. Photo source www.checkout.ie
Irish Pancake Recipe
- 125g/ 1 cup of plain/ all purpose flour
- 300 ml/ 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Large egg
- Butter or oil for frying (for frying)
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon/ 1/4 cup of sugar (for serving)
- Large mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- Whisk or fork
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Ready in: 20 minutes
- In a large bowl add your ingredients: Flour, milk, egg & salt.
- Mix with with a whisk or fork.
- Heat pan with a little oil or butter.
- Pour mixture onto pan, tilt pan from side to side to spread mixture evenly.
- Turn down heat to medium.
- When mixture is dry on top, flip pancake and cook for 30 secs – minute on the other side.
- Remove finished pancake to plate.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar.
Other Irish Recipes
If you’re looking to sample some real Irish food, we recommend you check out our tours below. As we pride ourselves in knowing all the best foodie spots in Ireland 😉 Alternatively you can contact us on: email@example.com . Our friendly reservation staff will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.