6 Day Ancient Ireland Tour
6 Day Ancient Ireland Tour
The story of Ireland is one of invasions and integration: Viking; Norman; Cromwellian. Nowhere tells that tale better than Ireland’s Ancient East region. Wander through 5,000 years of history; from the wilderness of Wicklow, a mountainous rebel haven, to Ireland’s first capital city, Waterford; from the medieval heritage of elegant Kilkenny, to the bloody battles, gorgeous maritime setting and gourmet delights of Kinsale.
This small group, guided tour will lead you on a journey of discovery through one of Ireland’s most off-the-beaten-track regions. Spend 2 nights in one of Ireland’s finest castle hotels, located on its own island in the River Suir.
2019 Tour Dates
About This Tour
Eastern Ireland has so many hidden treasures, the greenest and sunniest (all things are relative!) part of the island which has been long been kept under wraps as a favourite holiday destination of the Irish people. But now the secret is out and Driftwood tours are opening the way to experience this fascinating and beautiful corner of Ireland.
Leaving Dublin, the tour follows the coast down to the Wicklow Mountains and the Ancient Monastic site of Glendalough before crossing over the mountains (the largest area of upland Wilderness in Ireland) and dropping down into the central plane of Ireland before heading to the medieval city of Kilkenny.
Over the next few days, we explore the very south-east of Ireland, mainly in the counties of Wexford and Waterford. This includes the Hook Head Peninsula and its famous lighthouse, the Dunbrody Famine Ship, The Ross Tapestry and of course a visit to the House of Waterford Crystal.
The tour then follows the south coast eastwards towards County Cork, diverting up into the Comeragh and Knockmealdown Mountains to visit a working monastery and enjoy one of Ireland’s most scenic drives.
The last two nights are spent in Cork, Ireland’s largest county, with some famous bucket-list stops
along the way. For example, the Jameson Distillery, Cobh (the last port of call of the Titanic and centre for embarkation for millions for Irish people heading for the ‘New World’), The Blarney Stone, Cork city’s English Market and Kinsale, Ireland’s gourmet capital.
The overnights have been carefully selected to give a variety of local experiences, from a night in the heart of Kilkenny city, to staying in the 5 star Waterford Castle Hotel on its own private island or overnighting by the sea on Ballycotton Bay and in picturesque Kinsale.
The tours leave from Dublin city centre at 08.10am on the first morning and get back about 6 pm on the last day. So we would advise arriving at least the night before and if you would be planning to fly out on the last night, then not to book a flight before 9 pm.
Find out more about the Top Sites on our 6 Day Ancient Ireland Tour.
DIG DEEP INTO IRELAND’S INTRICATE HISTORY:
- Explore the beautiful medieval capital of Ireland - Kilkenny
- Encounter Strongbow and the Normans at the Ros Tapestry
- Board a coffin ship to hear the harrowing tale of the famine
- Be a Viking for a day in Waterford city
- Stand in awe at Rathgall - Ireland’s largest Celtic ring fort
CUISINE, CRAFTS AND CULTURE IN QUAINT VILLAGES:
- Get to know Kinsale, the picture perfect gourmet capital of Ireland
- Chat with friendly traders at Cork’s epicurean paradise, The English Market
- Gaze out across the Celtic Sea from tranquil Ballycotton
- Absorb the country charm of riverside Inistioge
- Stop by traditional Irish pubs for local brews, whiskey and traditional music
EXPLORE CASTLES, CHURCHES, HOUSES AND GARDENS:
- Revel in two nights of luxury at Waterford Castle Hotel
- Behold the splendour of 12th century Kilkenny Castle
- See the beautiful mountain monastic site at Glendalough
- Tour Jerpoint Park to hear the legend of Saint Nicholas
- Ramble the Robinsonian gardens of Altamount House
- Dress for battle at the medieval Ballyhack Castle
- Walk in awe around 13th century Tintern Abbey
DELIGHT IN IRELAND’S MOST WORTHWHILE DESTINATIONS:
- Kiss the Blarney Stone and explore Blarney Castle and Gardens
- Visit the world famous House of Waterford Crystal
- Taste Irish whiskey at its true home: the Jameson Distillery in Midleton
- Climb the world’s oldest operational lighthouse at Hook Head
- Traverse the wild Wicklow mountains and explore its National Park
✔️ A journey of discovery in a super-comfy, slick Mercedes Benz/Volkswagen mini-coach
✔️ The services of a highly-trained and professional VagaGuide
✔️ 6 full days on tour
✔️ 5 nights' accommodation
✔️ 5 delicious and filling hot Irish breakfasts
✔️ Most daily activities and visits (see Tour Options below for extras)
✔️ Entrance fees to Jerpoint Park, House of Waterford Crystal and Jameson Distillery
✔️ Shannon ferry tickets
✔️ All relevant taxes
✔️ Guaranteed tour departure and price from the moment you make your deposit
✔️ Loads of laughs and fun along the way!
Your guide will discuss options with you throughout your tour and plan accordingly.
- Blarney Castle: €18 per person
- Kilkenny Castle: €8 per person
- St Canice's Cathedral & Round Tower: €7
- Smithwicks Brewery Tour: €15/€13 seniors
- Queenstown Experience: €10 per person
- Waterford Medieval Museum: €7
- Waterford Viking Museum: €5
- 3D King of the Vikings Experience: €7
- Bishop's Palace Museum Waterford: €7
- Tintern Abbey: €5
- Dunbrody Famine Ship: €10/€8 seniors
- Ros Tapestry: €8/€7 seniors
Tour Pricing and Currencies
All tour prices and payments are in Euro only. The US Dollar prices above are a guide only, we can only quote exact prices in Euro.
- Vehicle:Super-comfy and very smart 16 seater mini-coach
- Activity:Short strolls around museums, houses and gardens
- Pace Of Tour:Free time in local communities and a relaxed pace of tour with minimal driving.
When I saw that Driftwood was offering a new tour to the Ancient East this year, I couldn't wait to sign up. Although my expectations were really high after my earlier 7-Day Treasure Ireland and 6-Day Northern Island tours, I was not disappointed!