11 Day Discover Ireland Tour
11 Day Discover Ireland Tour
Truly a journey of discovery exploring and learning about all the best parts of Ireland, the 11-day Driftwood vacation is a breath-taking and fascinating tour of Ireland. We will take you to some of Ireland’s best-known tourist destinations like the Blarney Stone, the Ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Moher and because our groups and vehicles are smaller, we will also take you right away from the beaten track and show you our favourite hidden corners of Ireland. Please note the direction of the tour is not optional.
2019 Tour Dates
2020 Tour Dates
About This Tour
A once in a lifetime tour of Ireland, you will see more of Ireland than most Irish people have. This definitive tour of Ireland explores the hidden corners of the country both North and South plus the well-known highlights. You will experience the best of what Ireland has to offer, amazing scenery and local communities. Visit castles and stately home and learn about its fascinating ancient and modern history.
The tours leave from Dublin city centre at 08.10am on the first morning and get back about 6 pm on the last day. So we would advise arriving at least the night before and if you would be planning to fly out on the last night, then not to book a flight before 9 pm.
Firstly we head south-west, through the green heart of Ireland and counties Kildare, Tipperary and Limerick to County Cork. We then spend the next 4-5 days exploring the fabulous south-west of Ireland and its varied peninsulae before then weaving our way from County Kerry across the great River Shannon into County Clare.
Once here you have the limestone lunar landscape of the Burren to explore, you will have some of the very best traditional Irish music to enjoy in the pubs, you can marvel at the Cliffs of Moher From there we drive around Galway Bay to Galway city, where we spend a few hours. We then continue our journey to Connemara, where we spend the night. A remote and beautiful area which has a special place in the hearts of the Irish people. Nowhere quite typifies old fashioned Ireland like Connemara.
The next couple of days are spent in the less-touristed areas of Counties Mayo and Sligo. In Mayo alone, there are such highlights as Ireland’s only Fjord, the colourful town of Westport and the Holy mountain of Croagh Patrick, before we cross into Sligo for slightly softer scenery and the unique experience of a hot sea-weed bath! We now spend two nights in Clifden in Galway, giving us time to explore the area and nearby north-west Mayo – it is one of the least visited parts of Ireland. The two-night stay also gives you the chance to have a more relaxing day on tour, maybe play a round of golf and get to know the local community.
And then its time to cross the border into Northern Ireland, still part of the United Kingdom. We spend two days in the province learning all about the recent turbulent history and right back to the stone age – while not forgetting the fantastic coastal scenery of the Causeway Coast and the Glens of Antrim.
Tours starting/finishing point:
REVEL AT SOME OF EUROPE'S VERY BEST SCENERY:
- Elevate your mood along the wild and rugged Atlantic Ocean coastline
- See Ireland’s highest mountain range, The Macgillycuddy Reeks
- Be mystified by the savage beauty of Connemara
- Behold the lunar limestone landscape of The Burren
- Tour the epic Causeway Coastal Route
- Feel the magic on the world famous Ring of KerryRolling green fields on the Dingle Peninsula
RELISH SOME OF IRELAND’S MOST WORTHWHILE TOURIST DESTINATIONS:
- Stand in awe at the towering Cliffs of Moher
- Kiss the Blarney Stone at Blarney Castle and Gardens
- Step onto the stunning Antrim coast at the legendary Giant's Causeway
- Discover magnificent Killarney National Park
- Wonder at the iconic Rock of Cashel
VISIT IRELAND’S GREAT HOUSES AND GARDENS:
- Blarney Castle and Gardens
- Bantry House and Gardens
- Muckross House Gardens
- Kylemore Abbey and Gardens
- Garnish Island Gardens
WONDER AT SOME OF IRELAND’S HISTORICAL TREASURES:
- Shout from the battlements of mythical castles
- Peer into portal tombs older than the pyramids
- Stand in awe at Neolithic stone circles and Celtic ring forts
- Admire the world’s finest medieval Celtic crosses at Monasterboice
- Dig into Belfast with a Black Cab tour or a visit to the Titanic Experience
- Walk the ramparts of Derry, Ireland’s only complete walled city
EXPLORE THREE DIVERSE SOUTH WESTERN PENINSULAS:
- Majestic Iveragh - better known as the Ring of Kerry
- Rugged Beara - the ‘undiscovered peninsula’
- Knife edge cliffs and patchwork fields of the Dingle Peninsula
TAKE SOME FREE TIME TO EXPLORE LOCAL COMMUNITIES AND MEET THE IRISH PEOPLE IN LOCATIONS SUCH AS:
- The vibrant and buzzing Galway city
- The galleries and pubs (about 54 in total!) in Dingle town (pop. about 2500)
- The shops and boutiques of picturesque Kenmare
- The resurgent Northern Irish cities of Derry and Belfast
SOME FUN LITTLE SIDE TRIPS:
- Visit a working sheep farm for a sheep herding and shearing demonstration
- Take a boat trip to see Dingle’s most friendly resident - Fungie the Dolphin
- Tour Bushmills, the oldest working distillery in the world
- Test your fear of heights at the Carrick a Rede rope bridge
- Relive Tom Crean’s tale of extraordinary endurance at The South Pole Inn
- Meet master weavers, craft brewers and artisans of crystal carving
...AND AT NIGHT:
- Live traditional music in some of Ireland’s best pubs
- Delicious fresh and locally sourced food from Ireland’s clean waters and green farms
- Overnight in comfort at quality local guesthouses and boutique hotels, located in small, friendly communities
- Live like lords and ladies with a stay in a castle-style country home
✔️ A journey of discovery in a super-comfy, slick Mercedes Benz/Volkswagen mini-coach
✔️ The services of a highly-trained and professional VagaGuide
✔️ 11 full days on tour
✔️ 10 nights' accommodation
✔️ 10 delicious and filling hot Irish breakfasts
✔️ Most daily activities and visits (see Tour Options below for extras)
✔️ Entrance fees to Blarney Castle; Bantry House; the Rock of Cashel; a working sheep farm experience; Giant's Causeway; Aughnanure Castle/Donegal Castle
✔️ Shannon ferry tickets
✔️ All relevant taxes
✔️ Guaranteed tour departure and price from the moment you make your deposit
✔️ Loads of laughs and fun along the way!
Your guide will discuss options with you throughout your tour and plan accordingly. Please note, this tour has stops in both the Republic of Ireland (EU eurozone) and Northern Ireland (UK). You will require both Euro (€) and Sterling (£) cash.
- Black Cab Tour of Belfast: £10
- Titanic Centre: £18.50
- Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge: £7
- Bushmills Distillery Tour: £7
- Dunluce Castle: £5.50
- Derry Walking Tour: £4
- Dingle Distillery: €15
- Boat trip in Dingle: €15-€20
- Boat trip to Garnish Island: €16
- Horse drawn carriage ride in Killarney National Park: €15
Tour Pricing and Currencies
All tour prices and payments are in Euro only. The US Dollar prices above are a guide only, we can only quote exact prices in Euro
- Vehicle:Comfortable Mercedes or Volkswagen 16 seater 'Drifter' Mini-coach.
- Activity:Easy. No hikes or adventure activities.
- Pace Of Tour:A relaxed pace of tour, lots of free time to explore villages and learn about historical sites and stately homes and gardens
We took the 11 day discover Ireland tour in June 2017 with Mark Doherty as our guide. I cannot say enough about this experience. I have ancestral roots in Ireland and had always wanted to visit. When the time came, it was suggested to me that a small group tour would be the best way to go and we selected Driftwood. So glad we did! Ireland was as beautiful as I had expected, maybe even more so. But the tour itinerary, and Mark's very excellent knowledge and friendly delivery and assistance throughout the 11 days went way beyond expectations. Highly recommend Driftwood/Vagabond Tours. They are the best!