11 Day Discover Ireland Tour
11 Day Discover Ireland Tour
Truly a journey of discovery exploring and learning about all the best parts of Ireland, the 11 day Driftwood vacation is a breath-taking and fascinating tour of Ireland. We will take you to some of Ireland’s best known tourist destinations like the Blarney Stone, the Ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Moher and because our groups and vehicles are smaller, we will also take you right away from the beaten track and show you our favourite hidden corners of Ireland.
About This Tour
A once in a life time tour of Ireland, you will see more of Ireland than most Irish people have. This definitive tour of Ireland explores the hidden corners of the country both North and South plus the well know highlights. You will experience the best of what Ireland has to offer, amazing scenery and local communities. Visit castles and stately home and learn about its fascinating ancient and modern history.
The tours leave from Dublin city centre at 08.30am on the first morning and get back about 6pm on the last day. So we would advise arriving at least the night before and if you would be planning to fly out on the last night, then not to book a flight before 9pm.
Firstly we head south west, through the green heart of Ireland and counties Kildare, Tipperary and Limerick to County Cork. We then spend the next 4-5 days exploring the fabulous south west of Ireland and its varied peninsula’s before then weaving our way from County Kerry across the great River Shannon into County Clare.
Once here you have the limestone lunar landscape of the Burren to explore, you will have some of the very best traditional Irish music to enjoy in the pubs, you can marvel at the Cliffs of Moher and there is also the option of a day trip to the world famous Aran islands (you visit the islands while we drive around Galway bay and pick you up on the other side). You have then arrived in Connemara for the night, a remote and beautiful area which has a special place in the hearts of the Irish people. Nowhere quite typifies old fashioned Ireland like Connemara.
The next couple of days are spent in the less-touristed areas of Counties Mayo and Sligo. In Mayo alone there are such highlights as Ireland’s only Fjord, the colourful town of Westport and the Holy mountain of Croagh Patrick, before we cross into Sligo for slightly softer scenery and the unique experience of a hot sea-weed bath! We now spend two nights in Enniscrone in Sligo, giving us time to explore the area and nearby north-west Mayo – it is one of the least visited parts of Ireland . The two night stay also gives you the chance to have a more relaxing day on tour, maybe play a round of golf and get to know the local community.
And then its time to cross the border into Northern Ireland, still part of the United Kingdom. We spend two days in the province learning all about the recent turbulent history and right back to the stone age – while not forgetting the fantastic coastal scenery of the Causeway Coast and the Glens of Antrim.
This really is a journey of Discovery.
Tours starting/finishing point:
Revel at some of Europe's very best scenery, including:
- Ireland's highest mountain range The Macgillycuddy Reeks
- The Green fields and stone walls of Dingle
- Connemara's mountains, lakes, beaches and rivers
- Ireland's wild and rugged Atlantic coastline
- The River Shannon (which we cross by ferry)
- The Burren Limestone Plateau
- The Caher Mountains of the Beara Peninsula
- The green inland scenery of areas such as the Golden Vale in Tipperary
- The Glens of Antrim
Enjoy some of Ireland's most popular and worthwhile tourist destinations:
- Blarney Castle to kiss the magical Blarney Stone
- Killarney National Park
- The Cliffs of Moher
- Take the optional day trip to the Aran Islands
- The Giant's Causeway
Visit some of Ireland's great houses and Gardens
- Muckross House and Gardens, Kerry
- Bantry House and Gardens, Cork
- Garinish island Gardens, Cork
- Kylemore Abbey and Grounds, Connemara
Wonder at some of Ireland's historical treasures and experience the rich historical past of the region, from stone age man to the modern age.
- Visit The Rock of Cashel
- Ancient neolithic stone circles, celtic ring forts, castles, monastic sites and pre-christian tombs
- The Grinian of Aileach
- Learn about the modern day history of Northern Ireland, especially on the walking tour of Derry and the Black Cab tour of Belfast
Explore three of Ireland's most diverse south western Peninsulas:
- The majestic Iveragh peninsula (better known as the Ring of Kerry)
- The rugged Beara Peninsula (also known as the 'undiscovered peninsula')
- The rolling hills of the Dingle Peninsula
Take some free time to explore local communities and meet the Irish people in locations such as:
- The vibrant and buzzing Galway city
- The galleries and pubs (about 54 in total!) in Dingle town (pop. about 2500)
- The shops and boutiques of picturesque Kenmare
- The resurgent Northern Irish cities of Derry and Belfast
Some fun little side trips:
- Visit a working sheep farm for a demonstration of working dogs and also sheep shearing
- Take a boat trip to try Spot Dingle's most Friendly occupant - Funghi the Dolphin in Dingle Bay
- Optional visit to Bushmills Irish Whiskey Distillery, the oldest working distillery in the world
- Test your fear of heights at the Carrick a Rede rope bridge
And at night:
- Live music and excellent food in some of Ireland's best pubs and restaurants.
- Overnight in quality, locally owned guesthouse and small hotel accommodation in small, friendly local communities
- Spend a night in a superb Irish castle hotel
- Journey of discovery in a Driftwood mini coach tour vehicle.
- Services of highly trained professional Driftwood tour guide
- 11 FULL days on tour
- Ten nights accommodation (2 nights B&B, 8 nights Hotel, including one night in a castle).
- 10 Full Irish breakfasts.
- Entry to the Blarney Stone, The Rock of Cashel, The Giants Causeway and the Cliffs of Moher
- Demonstrations of local craftsmen at work
- Shannon ferry tickets
- All relevant taxes.
- Guaranteed tour price from the moment you make your deposit
- Loads of laughs
AND...Your departure is guaranteed once we have confirmed your booking (we have never cancelled a tour, thats a promise)
We try and keep any additional costs to a minimum and these activities account for only a small part of the daily activities on tour. Most of the places we visit are free to enter. The additional activities we do offer are ones that have proved to be a big success with customers over the years.
- Lunches and evening meals
- Some optional entrance fees and additional activity options, for example:
- Boat trip to Garinish Island – €15 (southern tours)
- Visit to Bantry House and Gardens – €8
- Day trip to the Aran Islands –€25
- Black Cab taxi tour of Belfast – GB£10
- Jaunting Car ride in Killarney National park – €15
- Bushmills Whiskey Distillery – GB£7.50
- Walking tour of Derry - GB£4
- Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge – GB£5.6
- Hot, relaxing sea-weed bath - €25
- Vehicle:Comfortable Mercedes or Volkswagen 16 seater 'Drifter' Mini-coach.
- Activity:Easy. No hikes or adventure activities.
- Pace Of Tour:A relaxed pace of tour, lots of free time to explore villages and learn about historical sites and stately homes and gardens
Best Tour Ever...Vagabond plans the tour very carefully and thoughtfully: a wide range of things to see and do, good balance of traveling and off-the-van, some wonderful out-of-the-way places to visit, never too much driving in a day. - 5 Star *****